The home was built by Burwell Hampton Hambrick.
Mr. Hambrick and his family were from Georgia and then moved to Alabama in the 1840’s. In 1852 the Hambrick’s
moved to Texas and bought 500 acres of land from Thomas R. Buford. Over the next several years Mr. Hambrick
bought more land bringing his total land holdings to some 3300 acres.
after buying the 500 acres from Buford he started construction on his home. The house is made of wood with pegged
mortise and tenon construction. Bricks for the fireplace and foundation were made by hand on the plantation. In
addition to the home Mr. Hambrick also built a church, a private race track and the first cotton gin in Van Zandt
house, located half way between Dallas and Shreveport, served at times as a stagecoach stop and a change station
for horses. In the early years it also served as an area social center. After the civil war, Mr. Hambrick deeded
much of his land to his former slaves, and part of the plantation land became the foundation of the Redland High
School and community.
1868 Hambrick formed a partnership with George Humphrey to establish a cotton-thread mill in Tyler. The mill burned
in 1869 and Mr. Hambrick died a few months later. Mrs. Hambrick died in 1881 and left her home and the remaining
200 acres to her two living children. In 1890, the children sold it to William S Herndon, and he owned it until
1919. That year Mr. J.Y. Yates of Missouri purchased the home and land. Mr. Yates sold the property to Clyde Parker
of Tyler in 1949. From 1919 to 1954 the house was vacant and believed to be haunted. In 1954 Mrs. W.C. Windsor of
Tyler bought the home and 200 acres and started the restoration.
1966 the Texas Historical Commission placed a marker on the home. This was the first historical marker for
restoration given in the state of Texas. The marker was presented by Mrs. John Connally, wife of then Texas
Governor John Connally. Mrs. Windsor owned the property for 47 years. Tim and Carolyn West purchased the home and
land in 1998 and have done a complete restoration of the home. The West’s have lived in the home for the past four
The Old South lives again!
Go to Home page from Hambrick House